Evolution of an Image

This past Saturday morning, I arrived at our photo field trip site early. Worried that the others might not find me in the sprawling parking lot, I decided to stay put rather than wander around and scout photos.

As is often the case, I began playing with my camera. Here's a sampling of what I took in ten minutes.

All of the images were created and are shown here in color.

Image 1 of 20: It had been raining the night before and the asphalt was still wet. In the bright sunlit morning, I admired the smooth texture of the parking stall number against the roughness of the asphalt.

Image 4 of 20: I wanted to create some context for the lettering on the parking lot. The stripes and the numbers reminded me of a football field.

 

Image 6 of 20: I wanted to create some context for the lettering on the parking lot. The stripes and the numbers reminded me of a football field. 


Image 17 of 20: Having shifted my perspective so that I was shooting directly into the sun, I was able to capture the glow of sunlight off the damp asphalt in a way that resembled a light snow or frost. I like the high contrast, high key glow of the image. I also like the way the numbers lose their context when surrounded by so much blank space.

Image 20 of 20: I like the graphic nature of the stencil and the heavy texturing of the black asphalt. I chose to crop into the numbering to mask some of the identity of the subject matter.

Comments