Photo of the Week - May 27, 2011

Bearded Iris
Iris germanica
growing in my front yard
Olympia, WA

May 27, 2011
I like to think of these irises as the variety 'Mushroom' as we got the tubers from our neighbors down the street whose cat is named Mushroom. The funny part of the story is that the neighbors didn't know what color the irises were when they gave them to us. The idea that we might plant some unknown color and variety of large showy flower in our front flower bed is probably appalling to my friends who are garden enthusiasts. However, the same concept probably seems like a very good idea to my friends who are big into reduce-reuse-recycle. 

Either way, we lucked out. The beautiful and dramatic purple irises compliment the other vivid colors in our front yard and bring a spring smile to the neighbor's faces. I even think I saw Mushroom giving her approval one day.

Comments