Photo of the Week - November 16, 2014


Vine Maple Abstract Landscape

Mount Rose Trail
Lake Cushman, WA

November 16, 2014

This fall, I played with the idea of abstract landscape. For a photographer who carries a tripod with her at all times, this was a bit of a tall order. I like my images to be sharp, crisp and well defined. I am prone to dismiss an image if it doesn't meet my standards. So, to find myself intentionally moving the camera, blurring images, and even taking images without looking through the viewfinder was quite a departure in style. 

At first, my attempts felt stilted and forced. But, as I let myself go and experiment, the quality of the images improved dramatically. And, I learned in the process. As with my usual fair, subject matter and composition are paramount in creating a lovely abstract landscape. A fine balance needs to be struck between bold shapes and fine details. 

I was particularly pleased with this vine maple image. The light cutting through the deep forest illuminated the gold leaves, contrasting them with the blues and greens of the surrounding forest. The camera movement mimicked the dainty shapes of the leaves.