Photo of the Week - January 6, 2015


Foggy Night

Odd Fellows Cemetery
Tumwater, WA

January 6, 2015

After nearly 9 years, I have replaced my trusty Canon 30D with a brand new Canon 7D Mark II. Not surprisingly, I was a bit suspicious of the newcomer who was taking the place of my trusty sidekick. It didn't help matters that I had been waiting for the Mark II for several years, while Canon delayed and delayed. 

I got the Mark II for two reasons. I need a durable camera body; the 7D class of cameras is built more rugged than the 60D and 70D. And, I needed a faster motor drive to catch the in-between-shots that my current 3 FPS was missing. Other than that, I was satisfied with the old camera. 

I bring this up, because I am smitten. Of course, everyone else knew I would be smitten. I wanted to be cynical. But, I am surely smitten. 

Why? Because the camera works well and feels good.

I spent an hour in the fog the other night at Tumwater's historic Odd Fellows Cemetery. It was pitch black, with only the lamps from adjacent streets seeping in at the edges. I couldn't see more than a few shapes. Using the 7D Mark II's built in bulb timer, I made exposures from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. The images turned out sharp, with good color and minimal noise, even though I was shooting at ISO 400. 

And, I am smitten.