Rituals are everything


I had a pleasant break from my daily pattern yesterday. I took a couple of hours and headed down to Olympia's waterfront to watch the Caspian terns. 

Unlike my recent visits, the tide was heading out, gradually revealing the muddy beach at the far north end of the Port of Olympia. This made a difference because I wasn't able to watch the terns dive and fish. What I did observe is what happens next. 

Somewhere far away, one can hear the sound of the incoming bird announcing his imminent arrival. I would like to say it is a pretty sound, but it is really more like a cross between a movie pterodactyl and fingernails on a chalk board. Not a lovely call, but one which easily cuts through the wind and reaches the intended audience. 

As the birds on the beach come to attention, the newcomer makes a quick arc over the beach and lands smoothly, bill pointed towards the wind. 

Carrying a fish like the prize it is, he scurries through the crowd, looking for his intended. Finding her, he offers the fish. Sometimes she takes it readily. Other times, she turns her head and he has to go find another taker. Occasionally, the fish is ripped out of the provider's bill without any of the required formality.

After the successful transfer, the provider of the fish lifts his head and points his bill skyward. A very fine ritual indeed.






Success!