Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving 2020

Thanksgiving is a time for traditions.

My family is no exception. When I was about 6 and my sister was 9, we began making fresh cranberry sauce. We would get out the old meat grinder, struggle to affix it to the cutting board, and slowly begin to grind the fresh cranberries and navel oranges. We used a secret family recipe (hint: you can find it on the Ocean Spray package). Within minutes, if not seconds, the kitchen floor would be splattered with bright red cranberry juice. If we were lucky, we would succeed in grinding the cranberries and oranges before the meat grinder loosened itself and started twisting wildly with each turn of the crank. 

And then there was the sugar. I am pretty sure we used much more sugar than the recipe called for! After all, we were kids. Who in their right mind would like sour cranberry sauce??

Each year, our Thanksgiving guests raved over our cranberry sauce and how marvelous we were to make it ourselves. It was a great way to feel part of the celebration. 

Another Thanksgiving tradition are place cards for the table. My sister Angela and I would make them by hand each Thanksgiving. It was not until I was well into adulthood that I realized that part of the function of this very important task was to keep two little girls from being underfoot in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day. 

I still enjoy making Thanksgiving place cards. 

Since we moved into our house 18 years ago, I have made place cards nearly every Thanksgiving. I even make them when we go to other people's homes for the Holiday. 

This year is a Thanksgiving like no other. Instead of a joyous celebration with family and friends, we will be celebrating at home with just us and cat Tucker. It will odd to be without the familiar faces, hilarious Charades and loud Pictionary game. Everything will be a little simpler and possibly less festive. 

But, that doesn't mean that we can't have our traditions. And even if there are just two or one of you, there is no reason you need to go without in the place card department. I am posting a pdf of this year's place card design for you to print at home. I recommend heavy paper so it stands up well when you fold it. If you don't have heavy paper, any printer paper will do. After all, in a year like no other there is nothing like a little improvising in the name of tradition. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 





 

Comments