A rare backyard visitor


Wildlife in my backyard tends to be limited to mammals and birds. Squirrels, raccoons, the occasional possum. 

I don't think I have ever seen a snake in my backyard before. 

The backyard tends to be cool and shady, thanks to several large maples and two wonderful sweetgum trees. 

This garter snake found the warmest part of the yard, where afternoon sun hits a west-facing wall and raises the temps up ten degrees or more. It waited patiently while I got my camera and quietly photographed it from a distance of about 5 feet. Knowing that our warm days are waning and wanting to be the best neighbor, I didn't get any closer.

I am thankful for this visitor. I hope it sticks around!

There are three common species of garter snakes in the Pacific Northwest. None of these species are poisonous.


Comments